Dating violence on valentines day


I don’t know whether that information is still accurate, but I don’t mean to belittle the issue—there is a burning need to stop sexual violence and to assist survivors more effectively, and the issue fully deserves the public’s attention.However, without trivializing sexual assault, it still seems possible to ask why students should especially keep it in mind on Valentine’s Day.One of the three winning proposals in V-Day’s 2002 College “Stop Rape” contest was to distribute buttons that read “Be Nice to Vaginas, You Came From One.” Many responsible organizations have devoted time and effort to finding effective ways to fight violence, but the height of V-Day’s political imagination seems to be the proclamation of San Francisco as a “Rape Free Zone.”Awareness is crucial, but it is not an end, only a means to an end.With so much at stake, it is foolish for advocates not to use their almost universal support as an engine for real change.V-Day, an organization founded by Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler, suggests that the holiday “is a perfect day to affirm that people should love each other and be nice to women, instead of hurting them or killing them.” So is Christmas, and so is this morning.What makes Valentine’s Day different from all other days, and why is it uniquely suited to the remembrance of sexual assault?

love and money online dating for the wealthy



Of course, the posters were seen by men as well as women, and recent Administrative Board reports would indicate that some students could use a reminder that no means no.Perhaps 35 percent of men really would commit rape if they could get away with it, but we of the other 65 percent have no idea how we’re supposed to react to the statistic. ) An article on the subject in the most recent Diversity & Distinction suggested that that men do need to be part of the discussions on sexual assault, but only in that they are potential victims as well as potential rapists.Without a debate over policies in which well-meaning men can take part, the statistics seem designed to produce feelings of collective guilt—and such unearned guilt only creates resistance to the movement’s legitimate claims.The content of the holiday fails to justify the juxtaposition. And as we’re often told, rape isn’t about sex, it’s about power. 14 is diametrically opposed to the violent transgression of moral and emotional bonds that assault represents.

Assault can be committed by parents, acquaintances or strangers in contexts that have nothing to do with romance—as the campaign itself testified.

And it’s even more foolish to weaken this support by blurring the distinction between the endearing and the truly monstrous—and by tarnishing an innocent holiday in the process. Sachs ’02 is a history concentrator in Quincy House. The dating app's value proposition: quality over quantity with a machine learning algorithm that provides users with one match each day at noon and a system that allows women to rate the men they date in real life.